October 24, 2012

I’m Done Mom …

I love this kid so much.  My RedDog. Bright. Sweet. Sensitive. Loyal. He’s going through a bit of rough patch right now. Nothing to alarm – just the regular growing pains of being a kid, figuring out who he is.

He found this perfect fall leaf.  He told me he wanted to take it home and preserve it because it was so amazing.

That’s kind of how I feel about him.  It’s hard for me to watch him sort through things. I just want to preserve him in all his nine year old glory. But he has to grow and grow up too.

I asked him if I could take a picture of his leaf. He agreed to it.

Then I asked him if I could take a picture of just him.  This is what I got:

I encouraged him to try again, this time with a little more pep.  Here’s how that looked:

If I had to write a caption for this picture it would read, “I’m Done Mom.” Yep. That pretty much sums up RedDog right now.  He just doesn’t really want to do much of anything I ask him to do.

He told the Hubby and I a few weeks ago that he’s done with baseball.  He doesn’t like it anymore. Seven seasons of baseball and he’s just done. I actually don’t mind – one less thing for me to chauffeur to. But it is one special thing he and his dad got to do together as the Hubby coached all of his teams. I think it made the Hubby sad.

We’ll figure it out.  He’ll figure it out. All I want is for my boy to be his best, happiest self.

PS. I spy an Owlie!

3 comments:

Aiketa said...

Probably he is going through a normal phase on a kid development. As you said, he will figure it out! And soon you will have the happy version of RedDog back!

Apis Melliflora said...

I have a hard time when my children transition because every time it happens I feel like I'm sending one of them off into the vast unknown. But, deep down, I know that change is good.

Red Dog will indeed be his best, happiest self!

The Queen Vee said...

I love this boy. He has good parents and values he'll be okay. Great pics and that is one gorgeous leaf, I hope he still has it...framed!