October 16, 2011

Honoring A Hero . . .

flag bearers

Recently I was fortunate enough to attend the funeral of a high school friend’s father. While normally I wouldn’t post pictures from a funeral, the beauty and splendor of a military funeral at Arlington National Cemetery with full honors is worth sharing.

General John Shalikashvili was an inherently inspiring man. A Polish immigrant who rose to the top ranks of our counrty’s military, he was known as fierce patriot, genuine leader, devoted friend, husband and father. I could write an entire post just about General Shali.  Instead, I’ll share a few photos from a day spent paying tribute to him.

Every branch of the military was represented at General Shali’s funeral with soldiers in full dress uniforms, brass shining, shoulders squared, each march in step.  Full marching band, cannon and rifle salutes, former presidents and dignitaries speaking in tribute. No detail was missed.The caisson carried his flag draped casket followed by a single riderless horse with boots reversed in the stirrups. 

flag casket

This particular honor is reserved for an officer above the rank of Colonel and represents a fallen leader looking back on his troops for the last time. It certainly makes an impression.

riderless horse

The officer at the head of the combined Honor Guard for the General Shali’s funeral just happened to be a very close friend of my family’s.  Job well done Michael.

mike jr

One of the most somber {and yet my favorite} parts of a military funeral is when the flag draping the casket is carefully folded and presented to the family of the fallen soldier with the ‘thanks of a grateful nation’.

flag fold

To Mrs. Shalikashvili and my friend Brant, I also say thank you. Their dad and husband was a man to be admired.  His funeral was a moving and fitting tribute to his life and work. Godspeed General Shali.

flag widow

{I’m sure if I have any of my information incorrect my dad will set me straight.}

5 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Thanks for sharing this, Dragonfly. It is right and fitting to honor our fallen heros.

The Queen Vee said...

It was a gorgeous day for a send off and General Shali had a top notch send off. He deserved it, he was a true patriot and hero.

Tobi said...

I love when they fold the flag too. I think it's so neat how they fold the flag so precisely into that perfect triangle.

Kernal Ken said...

Beautifully written, Dragonfly. Only one point to set the record straight. The caparisoned (riderless) horse had the boots backwards in the stirrups as described. Why?

Lots of legends about why that is done, but the historically accurate answer from The Old Guard is that the boots show that the senior officer (colonel or above, Army or Marine) will never ride again.

The rumor that it is meant to symbolize his looking back on his troops one last time is clearly inaccurate, since the honor guard marches in front of the caisson and Cap horse.

Since the faamily follows the caisson, some say the boots are backward sinignifying that he is looking back on his family. But the rider, ghostly or not, would never ride facing backward.

So backward boots only mean he'll never ride again.

The Cap horse at my funeral will be surprised — because I never rode in the first place. But it will still be a significant honor.

TooTall said...

Wonderful post! I remember General Shali well! He was my neighbor for 2 years in Heidelberg! I will never forget him coming out and "inspecting" of senior float for Homecoming! Wonderful man with a great sense of humor!