August 8, 2011

Summer Is Perfect For: Child Labor!

Is is just me or is your house a disaster pretty much the entire summer while the kids are home?  No matter what I try to do, I feel like I’m picking up messes ALL DAY LONG!

Last week I’d reached the end of the very messy rope.  So I got up and made a list of jobs for each kid, including the Owl man. The lists were on index cards and each item had a box next to it – because my kids love to check off boxes just like their momma! Each kid went to work vacuuming, dusting, cleaning windows and picking up in general.

We all tackled the first floor on Monday, the second floor on Tuesday and the basement on Wednesday.

Owlie’s specialty? The shark vacuum. He’s a pro now.

IMG_0804

RedDog’s specialty? The Swiffer.

IMG_0806

Here’s the truth: The cleaning went very well.  There was whining, but the house was clean and I didn’t have to do all the work by myself.  But it only lasted for a few days before it was a mess again.  I’ve decided that it will just be messy until they all go back to school.  It can’t stay clean when all four kids are home all day.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who really dislikes this one aspect of summer vacation.

4 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

You're not alone. When the house is a constant mess, any semblance of order in my brain also seems to be a mere wisp of a dream.

So when I'm about to reach the tipping point, I put my kids to work too.

The Queen Vee said...

Times running out on summer fun and an unkempt house, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Put them to work again before you leave for UT, it will be nice to come home to a clean house just before school starts.

C and Co. said...

Right there with you!!! They go back to school Wednesday and I can't wait to get out the deep cleaning lists and go crazy!

amy eskew said...

The worst offender in our house is not any human, but Layla, the German Shepard. Who knew that a dog could SHED so much! And I mean, CLOUDS of dog hair all over the kitchen- after it was swept the night before! But every time I complain, I get the "she's old and won't be with us long" speech from Tate- and a cute hang-dog look.

Of course, this means I'm teaching Daniel to vaccuum. Dictators unite!!!