August 9, 2011

Displaying Kid Collections . . .

IMG_0863

With RedDog’s recent eighth birthday came the blue and gold uniform of the Cub Scouts.  I love the Cub Scout age because I get to spend extra time with my boys working on some wacky stuff!

One of the achievements RedDog wanted to work on first was starting, displaying and sharing a collection of things he loves.  He has a great rock collection, but didn’t want to “mess it up” by doing anything to display it.  Instead, he decided he would gather a collection of his very coolest Lego figures.

I suggested that we frame the Legos and label them.  He was hesitant because he knew hot glue would be involved and didn’t want to permanently damage his guys.  Then HE came up with a genius idea to use the glue on a two-brick and just attach the Lego figure to that, thus enabling him to pull off a figure whenever he wants to play with it.

His idea means that the Lego figures literally leap off the frame and cast fun shadows behind themselves. RedDog told me the names of all the figures and we attached them with some small sticky foam pads to give the labels some relief also.

IMG_0860

The figures are so fun.  Especially the ones that have little accessories, like Harry Potter and his broom, Merlin and his wand or the King who has a goblet in one hand and a chicken leg in the other.There’s even a Lego RedDog with short legs, a hoodie, that signature hair and some freckles.  He might just be my favorite.

IMG_0861

Here’s the collection displayed in RedDog’s room with his rock collection.

IMG_0868

He’s pretty proud of it.  In fact, at the end of this project, he turned to me, his face beaming, and said, “Thanks Mom for helping me with my collection.  It’s just awesome.”

And so are you, my little Scout.  So are you.

8 comments:

Z. Marie said...

It totally is just awesome! What a great idea.

jennifer's little things said...

I love the idea of finding different ways to display things that would otherwise just be sitting in a box in the closet......this one may be one of the best ideas I've seen.

Thumbs up to a great collaborative effort!

Apis Melliflora said...

My boys thought this was the coolest idea. And I have to agree. Usable, play-withable art. Brilliant.

The Queen Vee said...

You and Soren are the Minifig display winners.....very awesome. Love that it is aritistic but still a usuable collection. You both deserve cub scout awards for this idea.

Sue said...

Simply awesome!

Bells said...

yeah, so his collection beats our rock collection displayed in an egg carton!

Bells said...

ok- so I just showed my newest scout reddog's collection, he hasn't done this requirement yet. He said, that's really neat Mom, how should I display my toilet paper roll collection? um........any ideas?

Aiketa said...

Great, great, great idea! Even more than great, just genius!