February 17, 2011

An Obsessively Organized Type A Girl’s Dream . . .

IMG_9020

At the front of our house are two rooms – the formal dining room and another room I choose to call the piano/library/office/front room.  This room of many names has been a design dilemma to me for the past eight years.  It has been three different colors, all three wrong.  It has housed desks and bookshelves, chairs of the wing backed and swivel variety, photos and paintings, roman blinds and cornice boxes.  It is probably fair to say that this room is very confused, especially considering just four days ago it was a makeshift dining room.

For some time now I’ve been on the hunt for a large piece to put on the one long wall in the room. I only had a couple of requirements.  First, I wanted glass front cabinets.  Second, I needed tons of storage for all of our office supplies. Third, I really wanted to hide our printer. Now it’s clear why I haven’t found a piece to work.

A few weeks ago the Hubby and had a whole half hour to ourselves so we ran to a shop in a neighboring town on the off chance they might have a piece that would work.  They had something that was the right scale, but it was painted black which doesn’t really work with the color scheme in our house.  The Hubby thought to ask if they had the piece in another color. As luck would have it, a shipment was coming in with the same piece in white, so we snatched it up!

IMG_9022

Glass front cabinets . . . check.  I’ve already put a collection of old books given to me by a friend on display.

IMG_9021

Ample storage . . . check check! I’m still doing a happy dance over the twelve drawers and four cubbies.  All of our office supplies, from envelopes to labels to pens to paper are neatly stored away ALL IN ONE PLACE.

And the printer – well, believe it or not, it’s behind one of those lift up cubby doors.  A perfect fit. 

I love the bin pulls.  I love the skeleton keys.  I love the aged paint.  I love that it makes a major statement in the room. In short, I am in love. There is only one thing about the piece I don’t love.  It smells like barbeque potato chips.  Is there a rule that Indonesian mahogany should smell like wood fired BBQ? Any thoughts?

15 comments:

christy said...

I LOVE it! Even if it does smell like barbeque chips. Mmm-mmm. Beautiful piece and not like on you see every day.

Kasey said...

Jealous!! That is a beautiful piece!!

Apis Melliflora said...

I think the smell will fade over time. Or you will get used to it. Stunning piece.

AllisonK said...

I like barbeque chips, but that might be a bit much for me. The piece is GORGEOUS, well worth the smell.

MelancholySmile said...

Love the skeleton keys! About the smell- maybe some baking soda to absorb the scent for a while? Then a few blocks of cedar wood or lavender sachets to replace it?

C and Co. said...

LOVE IT!!! Truly gorgeous!

squeezeme said...

What a perfect piece! How about some febreeze?

Suzanne C said...

Put your Scentsy warmer in there and the Dragonfly will have a new home! And it will help with the BBQ chip smell! Just sayin'! :) Love the piece and completely envious!

Jessie said...

Love this piece! Love the scale, vintage style, and storage potential! It's so great to find just the right thing after you've been looking for a while...esp. if you got a good deal on it. :) Once again, loving your style.

Anonymous said...

You bought it in half an hour? You must be a decisive furniture buyer. It takes me months to bring myself to the sticking point when it comes to choosing and purchasing furniture.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

That's gorgeous Sam. I'm seriously coveting it.

Lori Gerten said...

The post was very well written. The best part? "It smells like barbeque potato chips". You write so visually, now you write so smellily!

Aiketa said...

This piece of furniture is perfect! I love the vintage style!

TracyS. said...

It's gorgeous and it makes me smile and sigh to think of all of the wonderful things it can hide.

Emily said...

Love it! It's gorgeous! It must have cost an arm and a leg.