January 14, 2011

Third Time’s A Charm. . .

dragonfly_1_lg

Here we go again.

I’m ready to attempt another photoblog. See that great dragonfly on the right sidebar above my “Followers”? Just give it a click if you’re curious to see what my camera Edward and I are doing this year.  I’ll give you a hint: three pictures, three perspectives, same subject each week.  I hope you’ll take a look.

Also, I’m wondering what you do when you are so mad (yes, mad) at a really, really foolish stupid idiotic bad choice one of your children has made.  How do you quell your emotions while still showing your disappointment and frustration with the situation?

Help!

And happy Friday.

7 comments:

christy said...

The times I have been the maddest at my kids, they know it. I TRY to cool off first and then tell them how disappointed I am in their bad decision and then take away something precious of theirs for a time for punishment (ipod, etc). Good luck!

jane said...

My kids are young adults now and still trying to find their way. They still make disappointing mistakes. My role as a mom to adult children is to voice a response of what they say (showing empathy). Stay away from anger. Pose questions to them for self reflection. But in the process not make personal vocal judgements to them. It keeps the communication channel open. IT is not always easy to do. But parenting continues to redefine itself.

TracyS. said...

Wow- you must have been at my house yesterday, based on your last question. I'll be waiting to see what your wise readers say with eagar anticipation.

Apis Melliflora said...

I usually say "I am so mad at you right now that I can't be in the same room with you for awhile."That gives me the time I need to cool off and get perspective.

But, I agree with Christy, there are always consequences to bad choices. Ideally, those consequences correspond in some way to the poor choice and are swiftly implemented.

Tobi said...

That's the trick in parenting isn't it? God gives us these beautiful spirits to teach and nurture. But they still have their agency and they can still exercise it any way the choose.

The Queen Vee said...

Screem like crazy, tell him he's grounded for life, take away all privilages and make him walk the plank. Then calm down and come to your senses, apologize for screaming but don't change anything else. :-)

Aiketa said...

LOL! Queen Vee you are hilarous! I like your sense of humor!
And don't have children yet so I guess I can not give you any advice Dragonfly... but I think what The Queen Vee said is probably what my reaction would be. I can see it... Lucky I still have time to learn until I have children of my own.