December 20, 2010

Thrifted: Old Sweaters Into Stockings . . .

IMG_8692

Remember how I purged my Christmas decorations of red?  Well, that meant selling six Pottery Barn stockings in a garage sale this summer.  I’ve combed the stores looking for knit stockings with that vintage homemade look. Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot out there unless I want to spend a whole lot of money. Which doesn’t exactly bode well with my cheap mentality.

So I did what I do best – I hit the thrift store on half off clothing day.  I ended up with four sweaters for $1.50 each in the colors I like for Christmas – greens, blues and browns.  That, my friends, is a SERIOUS BARGAIN.  You should have seen the look on the little old worker lady’s face when I told her I was going to cut up some perfectly good sweaters to make stockings.  She could not comprehend it.

Here’s what I did {sorry for the bad lighting – it was late at night}. I hand drew a stocking pattern. Then using the hem of the sweater as the stocking opening, I cut out a front and back from the existing sweater. Since the hem of the sweater is already finished, it will not unravel and makes a perfect stocking top.

IMG_8615

Next I pinned the two pieces together with the wrong sides facing out and ran it around the edges {except the top opening, of course} with my sewing machine.  I used any spare hem to make a loop for hanging the stockings.  And a final step  before turning the stockings right side out was to drive over to my mom’s to have her run the sewn edges through her serger to prevent fraying.

Now my kids have fun, vintage sweater stockings. I still have to find two more sweaters for the Hubby and myself, but I’m out of time until after Christmas.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Or are these stockings awesome?

11 comments:

Aiketa said...

I don't know from where you get all these brilliant ideas of yours! They are always so great!
It doesn't seem difficult, but I have one major problem here, I don't know how to sew. I hope some point in the future I'll learn. It's always useful.
I must say that I love the green one (far left) and the blue one too.

MelancholySmile said...

You're right-- they're awesome. I really love the one on the far left.

We are FAM-I-LEE said...

Love them!!! Thanks for all the great ideas. Maybe one day I'll actually try one of them...

Apis Melliflora said...

I think they're crazy awesome. Maybe you'll start making sweater pillows too! Honestly, you've outdone yourself this Christmas...so many great crafty ideas!

The Queen Vee said...

Clever crazy, that's what you are.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but what you didn't think of was making sweaters out of old Christmas stockings... Love, Snarky Brother.

Susan said...

I love the Christmas Stockings! You are so creative :)

brendag said...

Love the stockings!!! Very cute and cleaver!!!

Tobi said...

I think you are awesomely crazy! I don't understand why your whole house has to match or why you have stricken red from Christmas decorating. But I love you and I'm sure in time I will get over myself.

Bells said...

I would love to see your house in person, you have such a great sense of style. I love the stockings!

jd said...

I've seen 'em. BEFORE I saw them on this blog. And to answer the question-- they're

AWE

SOME