October 29, 2010

Random Musings: Halloween Edition . . .

IMG_8002

We’re a homemade candy bag kind of family. The pumpkin bag with the green handle was mine as a child {sewn by the Queen, of course}.  Hannie B. uses it now. The nostalgia of it all is not lost on me.

***

We’re also a cornbread and chili kind of family.  Do you have a traditional Halloween meal?

***

I have worked on twenty-seven costumes this week.  If I were to include RedDog’s costume, then twenty-eight.  The Wizard of Oz has taken over my life. I hate flying monkeys.

***

My daughter makes her theatrical debut tonight.  And she is going to be so unbelievably  Munchkinalicious the audience is going to eat her up like Halloween candy!

***

We don’t have time to carve our pumpkins.  This is a problem for some family members, but not for me since I am the resident gut-scraper-outer.  Darn.

***

RedDog and the Hubby have made a plan for our Trunk or Treat trunk. RedDog wrote the plan down and has had it sitting by his bed for a week to review each night. It says:

“Decorate van with pumpkin lanterns, spoky flashlight, spoky music, couldren, black fabric, stone hand, skeleton, glitter spider, crow, stool for candy basket.”

I pretty much love that kid, his enthusiasm and his spelling errors.

***

I am ashamed to admit that we have been “Booed” twice this Halloween season but have not had time to return the favor.  Stupid play, business trip, baseball, homework.

***

Mr. Owlie is going to be a monkey this year.  His costume is hilarious.  Even he thinks so, since he laughs when he sees himself in the mirror.  Pictures to follow.

***

I am totally wearing my orange and black striped tights to church on Sunday.  I’m inappropriate like that.  Can’t decide if I need a spider somewhere too.  What say you?

***

Here’s hoping you and your family have a happy, safe, candy filled Halloween. 

4 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Break a leg Little Munchkin! You have had such a busy October, Dragonfly. Give you self a pat on the back...only 2 days until the new month.

P.S. I love that you're wearing the stockings again. Spider on a flower pin maybe?

queenie said...

I'll be wearing all black on SUnday with a spider pin. It seems appropriate enough. I will also be playing the organ. It will take all my restraint not to break out into Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor :0)

The Queen Vee said...

Can't wait to see our Hannie B strut her acting mojo on stage....

Black for Sunday, you bet but no stripped socks. Maybe I'll go and find some tights with cobwebs on them.

Spider pin, oh yeah....I'm wearing mine.

MelancholySmile said...

Ugh, that is a LOT of costumes to work on. Hope the play is rousing success!

I hadn't even thought of wearing striped socks, but now I may. I'm singing in church, and I can think of a few people who would get a kick out of seeing a bit of Halloween in sacrament meeting. :)