October 15, 2010

Better Late Than Never . . .

I usually try to get a blog post up first thing in the morning.  But this morning I had a pressing engagement with The Queen. We were up bright and early to brave the cold, the mud and the hoards of people to go here:

IMG_2375  

“Here” is the Morven Park Equestrian Center, a sprawling horsey haven with 40,000 square feet of barns, warehouses and stables.  And for two days every October all 40,000 square feet are turned into one GIGANTIC thrift store to benefit a local hospital.  It is a thrifter’s heaven. And I love it very much.

The sale is put on by the Women’s Board of the hospital. I think these women are a riot.  They’re are hundreds of them at the sale in their blue aprons and gray hair helping, smiling, and hawking their wares. It’s pretty much awesome.

One of the things that makes this sale so great is that it’s organized brilliantly into departments: housewares, linens, books, electronics, toys, furniture, sporting goods, home decor, clothing, holiday decor, etc. If you have something in mind, you’re sure to find it at the sale.  The prices are very reasonable, too.

IMG_2376

One fifth of the picture frames available.  And at the bottom of this shot, a crate full of painted canvases!

IMG_2378

Queen, those glasses are calling out your name!

We stayed for almost two hours and both came home with some treasures.  Here are a few of the Queens finds {unfortunately Edward was left at home by little ol’ me}:

IMG_2385

Vintage European architechtural prints in gold frames - $4 each.

 IMG_2386

Silvery grey vintage napkins.

IMG_2383 Old books – the huge dictionary was only a dollar!

I ended up with some vintage prints for Hannie B’s room, a painting for my library, a nativity and some vintage Christmas ornaments and a great bird print.

This is one of my favorite yearly events in my town.  How about you?  Do you have a favorite event in your town?

8 comments:

Audrey Carlson said...

ooohh! I wish I knew you were going. I thought about it because Sam had a playdate this morning so I had free time but then I decided to run errands...next year.

The Queen Vee said...

I wish you had gone with us too Audrey as A.It would have been so fun to have you along and B. I'm sure you would have been better prepared than Dragonfly and I. Only two checks and 50 bucks in cash between the two us meant limited buying.....I live on plastic as you know. Of course it's not like either of us needed a thing.

The Nerd Mom said...

So funny we both did and wrote on the same thing today!

Apis Melliflora said...

Wishing I could snatch up some of those picture frames. Also, looking at the pictures, I think I would be a bit overwhelmed. I would definitely need some expert guidance!

Amy Lynne said...

Wow! That would have been a great place to browse. I'm glad you found some treasures.

Tobi said...

The Goodwill by Sylvia's house was having a 50% off sale today. We found all kinds of treasures. A blog post will be forthcoming about this successful shopping trip.

My favorite local event is a Depression Glass Show in a huge warehouse. But you already knew that. =)

I hope the Queen bought those glasses. They are super flattering.

Kasey said...

oh, that looks like so much fun!!

Sue said...

I heart The Queen in 4th of July Bling.