September 7, 2010

Rendered Obsolete . . .

 IMG_7438

Yesterday I told Hannie B. we would make Snickerdoodles together.  She waited patiently while the Hubby and I tackled the sanding of two very large pieces of furniture to ready them for painting.  It took longer than I anticipated.  Her patience quickly turned to impatience.  When I finished sanding, I came in to make cookies and Hannie B. was standing in the kitchen in front of two perfectly executed trays of cookies ready to go into the oven.  She’d done it all without me.  And suddenly I felt the gravity of the advancing age of my children. Like I had been made obsolete. And the special gift of cookies made by mom was no longer so special.  But, it has to be said, Hannie’s cookies were delish!

Now the house is empty except for Ollie boy and me.  We’re on our way out the door to take a nice, ‘vigorous’ walk.  Then I’ll get laundry done without interruption and finish up another painting project without fighting in the background.  It will be good.

Still, I already miss those other three lugs.  They are fantastic people and I enjoy there company. And I think it has to be said  that one of the biggest reasons I hate it when my kids go back to school is because I feel like they need me less and less. 

And this momma likes to feel needed. 

Gotta go – I have a diaper to change!  Happy Back To School!IMG_7437

IMG_7440

IMG_7443

6 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

As a mom you'll never be obsolete, those kiddos will just need you in new and different ways. Cute pics and cute kiddos.

Apis Melliflora said...

That last picture got me all choked up. I can't believe how much they've all grown.

Burton's blog said...

I love the pictures of your kids, especially Christopher and Ollie. I love big kids that cooperate with crazy-must-have-pictures-Mom's. Nate gave me the "are you kidding, I'm a grown man" look for his picture. It's very sobering to watch them grow up so fast.

AllisonK said...

I have the small feelings quite often.... especially now that Whitney is making decisions about collage.

Jennifer said...

I love the picture of little Ollie. The first day alone in my house was an interesting one, but so sweet for momma!
How was yours?

Tobi said...

Hanni making snickerdoodles without you just means you've done a good job! You have taught her a valuable skill. Seriously.

Also I love the pictures of the first day of school. I forgot to make signs for my kids on their first day.