September 3, 2010

The Last Friday . . .

IMG_7403

It’s the last Friday before school starts.  We’ve got a lot going on.  I’m crafting with my momma this morning to make a great gift for her Annual Sister Retreat.

Tonight we’re having our family CampOut – in the back yard.  We felt like Ollie wasn’t quite ready for a full blown camping trip, so he and I will sleep in the house, but I’ll start out in the tent with the rest of the crew.  Difference is I’ll get some good sleep and they will be cranky in the morning! 

We got up bright and early this morning to meet the teachers at the elementary school.  The kids are excited, but I think I might be more excited than they are.  Why is it that I enjoy every summer immensely until the last week, at which point I want to lock my children into individual boxes so they will just leave each other alone? Hmmm . . .

Today I’m sharing a yummy family recipe with you.  We had it for dinner last night and as always, it was delish! I’m not sure where the recipe originated {my Aunt Linda, maybe?} but homemade Sloppy Joes beat out a can of Manwich any day in my book. This recipe is quick and easy, perfect for an end of Summer or early Fall night when you’ve got kids and parents on the go.  Enjoy!

Sloppy Joe Sliders

1 lb ground beef {I use 90/10}

1 medium onion chopped finely

1 stalk celery chopped finely

Brown above ingredients in a skillet until beef is done and onions and celery are translucent.  Then add:

1 can Campbell’s chicken gumbo soup

3 Tbsp ketchup

1 tsp yellow mustard

2 Tbsp brown sugar

Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.  Serve on “slider buns {smaller, pictured above} or regular hamburger buns.

3 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

Good Joes, I just borrowed your picture and the recipe to post on the family recipe blog, hope you don't mind. Figured you wouldn't because you got it from me.

Apis Melliflora said...

Looks delish to me. Kudos to the person who named them Sloppy Joes. Such a perfect name.

Burton's blog said...

School is a wonderful thing. Enjoy your quiet time with little Ollie!