June 14, 2010

A Lego Birthday Party How To . . .

IMG_6252

{Making a wish in 2010.}

My boy RedDog is seven. I can’t even talk about it because tears start falling and then I just want to pull him onto my lap and rock him in my arms like a baby again, but he barely fits!

His Lego party was so much fun!  I’m going to get right to the point and share the party itinerary and some photos, but first I wanted to impart my number one piece of advice for kid parties:

It is wise to have lots of little short activities or stations during the party to keep the attention of the kids. 

This one trick has saved many a party for me.  Now, on to the details . . .

As the kids arrived they were directed to the dining room.  On the table was a jar of Legos.  Each boy was given a slip of paper and a pencil.  They got to guess how many Legos were in the jar.  At the end of the party, the boy with the closest guess got to take the entire jar of Legos home – step #1 in my Personal Lego Reduction Plan! { down by 115, in case you were wondering.}

IMG_6220

Once all the boys had arrived and made a guess at the Lego jar, each boy got a small Lego City car to build. I got the cars on sale at Target for $4.49 each, which with seven boys in attendance, was the largest cost incurred for the party. Each boy built their car at a different pace – some were fast, others quite slow – but there were only 12 steps in the instructions and I had Big C roaming around the table to help the stragglers. I had also placed piles of Legos down the center of the table for the boys to play with while they waited for others to finish.

IMG_6231

I love it when he sits on his feet like this, it reminds me of his Daddy. 

IMG_6233

Busy Lego architects.

IMG_6239

Showing off the finished product.

After all the boys finished their cars, we went to the track to race them.  I {very quickly} made the track out of a scrap piece of drywall we had lying around.  We propped it up on cans from the pantry.  Four boys raced their cars at a time and the winner of each heat got a DumDum lollipop.  We kept racing until everybody had won at least once. Then at the end we had one race will all seven cars.  The boys loved this activity!

IMG_6241

As we finished each activity, I would have the boys put their things in a little goody bucket to take home.  I got the buckets in the 4th of July stuff in the dollar section at Target.  They were the perfect shade of Lego blue.  I then made a Lego head label for each boy to tie in the yellow and red.

IMG_6217

After the car race we played a quick game I named “Find the Golden Brick”.  I filled a bag {made out of a bandana and some leftover ribbon} with beans.  Then I threw in 15 standard size Lego bricks.  Four of the fifteen bricks were the coveted gold brick –the ones my kids always fight over!  I had the boys line up and they each got three chances to reach into the bag of beans and try to pull out a gold brick for a prize.  After three tries, all seven boys had pulled out a gold brick at least once.  I don’t know what that says about probability, but it sure worked out nicely for me.  The prize was an individual Twizzler licorice, which went into the bucket.

IMG_6221

Next we had a little minifig design activity.  Minifigs are the little yellow-headed Lego people.  I had Big C bring up a bunch of our minifigs to give the boys ideas.  Then using a blank template and markers, they got to design their own Lego guy.

IMG_6225

IMG_6227

IMG_6245

RedDog’s Birthday Party Minifig.

The boys all really loved this activity.  If I were to do it again, I’d make more copies of the blank minifig sheet to send home with the guests.

Instead of trying to attempt a Lego shaped cake {do a Google search and you’ll be amazed} I went for simple cupcakes in red, yellow and blue wrappers frosted yellow with a minifig on top for each boy.  RedDog chose Funfetti cupcakes since it had Lego colors in it.  Love a boy who’s willing to go along with a theme!

IMG_6223

Next we went into the family room and had an activity using some of our family’s large stash of Legos {minus the most precious pieces, which my children gratefully removed the night before}. We set a timer for five minutes, then I would call out a theme and the boys would use the allotted time to build something that fit in that category.  We did this three times, using the categories SPACE SHIP, ANIMAL, and FOOD.  At the end each round the boys would share what they built.  It was very fun and I was amazed by the creativity of these seven and eight year olds.

IMG_6255

As a surprise finale activity, I gave each boy a small bag with his name on it. We set the timer to 30 seconds and I told the boys that when the timer started, they could see how many Legos they could fit in their bag.  Whatever they got in the bag before the timer ended was theirs to take home – step #2 of PLRP.  For thirty seconds it was sheer madness, but totally fun to watch and I think we might have reduced our stash by one-sixteenth, which was completely zeroed out by the amount of Legos RedDog got as gifts!

IMG_6256

IMG_6257

We sent six boys home sugared up and with a significant amount of Legos, both new and gently used.  Each boy also got a bag of silly band bracelets and a  kaleidoscope in his bucket.

My budget for this party was $50. I spent $42.  The boys all seemed to have a really great time and it was fun for me to have Big C as my helper.

When I asked Soren today what the best part of his birthday was, he said “That awesome Lego party.” Mission accomplished.

14 comments:

Tobi said...

Good job Samantha! I will have to steal and adapt your awesome birthday ideas for Alec's upcoming IRON MAN birthday party.

Happy Birthday to Soren!

TracyS. said...

Whoa! That sounds like the best party ever! I think I might have to copy it next year...

The Queen Vee said...

Well, I'll be a minifig if everyone doesn't agree that you, plus helper Chris, pulled off the best 7 year old lego party ever. I give you both an A++ for your creative and successful efforts and execution although nothing tops Red Dog's joy and rave review of his special day.

Audrey Carlson said...

Somehow you need to make sure people can link to this so they too can pull off an awesome Lego party. Hmmm, change the title of your post eventually? I don't know but this would have been awesome info when I did Jonah's party last year!

Way to go!

christy said...

I love it! I will definitely be stealing this idea in a few short years for a party for Luke I'm sure. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Apis Melliflora said...

At this point, I'm thinking you need a little party planning and execution blog because your ideas are simple, affordable and, most importantly, brilliant.

Red Dog was right on: awesome!

The Dragonfly said...

Thanks for the advice Audrey. I changed the title to include Lego Birthday Party. Hopefully that will come up in a google search.

Elise said...

How fun!!! What a lucky boy. I think I might use this idea next year.

Jennifer said...

I agree with everybody. Your party planning and executing are unsurpassed! I have never put that much thought into my kids' parties. I will think twice next time a party comes around.

AllisonK said...

The party queen!!! My children are envious (although they don't know it)

squeezeme said...

So darn fun! In 1 1/2 years we are all over this for our lego lover, George. Would you be willing to email over the templates for the stickers on the buckets, the grab bags and the design your own minifig page? I would store it until needed....

Happy Birthday Red Dog!

p.s. If you are interested in doing a "Minute to Win it!" Party call me up! Fun and successful for 17, 7 to 8 year olds. Even teens and adults would enjoy!

Susan said...

Great Job Sam! It looks like fun was had by all. You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Logan and I are pouring over your photos. How much fun! I'm sure every kid in attendance will be talking about it for years to come. I agree with Audrey, there is much to mine here. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura Waltz said...

Amazing! I bookmarked this entry for a future birthday party idea for my little guys. You are a great Mother for doing this for him, and I am sure that it's something he will always remember!