May 27, 2010

Frustration . . .

016 

017

020

021

A few nights ago I came upon RedDog making his lunch for school the following day.  He was at the end of his preparations, carefully spreading peanut butter and honey on wheat bread.  I had the camera in my hand to download some pictures on the computer and shot this series of photos while hidden from his view by the staircase.

The sheer determination my boy had when it came to getting the sandwich in the bag was inspiring.  When the first try didn’t work, he used a different tactic.  And then another and even one more before he got his sandwich {albeit a bit smooshed} into the bag.

I came around the corner, complimented his great efforts, kissed his wet head and sent him off to brush his teeth. The night went on, but his experience stayed with me.

Why didn’t he get frustrated?  Why didn’t he call for help or even just mutter under his breath? Why didn’t he give up?  These would be my normal reactions in a situation where I couldn’t seem to find a solution no matter how many different ways I tried.  He, on the other hand, was calm, persistent and focused on accomplishing the one goal. 

I have so much to learn from my little ones. Almost daily I am faced with at least one situation that ends in frustration and disappointment.  But I have new resolve to calm myself, try another tactic to help me accomplish what I’ve set out to do, remain persistent and stay focused on the goal at hand.  My results may not be perfect.  They may end up a little smooshed from time to time. But if the smile on my RedDog’s face is any indication, I’m pretty sure I will feel proud of what I’ve done.

3 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

Red Dog you are one terrific kiddo, good job on making and corralling that sandwich into that slippery little bag, may you continue to have patience and success with all your life challenges.

Emily said...

Sweet, so sweet, little Red Dog, what a good boy and a lesson teacher!

Apis Melliflora said...

Good of you to spy, take note and learn from that young sandwich maker and teacher.