July 31, 2009

One Year . . .

It has been one year since I first learned of you. You were a name on a piece of paper given to me to read - a name in a series of letters with an almost unbelievable story attached to them. You were a gift from God that could not be kept, and so you were given to another family to bring them joy and be loved by them.

It has been one year since you became real to me as I saw you in a series of pictures. Each one a stepping stone from your beautiful life. Each one a moment I was not a part of. Each one containing a strikingly familiar face.

It has been one year since I heard your voice for the first time as I took the phone in my trembling hands. I'd already been told we sounded alike. I remember thinking, 'Oh, so that's what I sound like.' And you were on the other end of the line with wisdom and comfort in your voice, telling me things I needed to hear and reassuring me that everything would be alright.

It has been one year since you first walked in our door and uttered the words, "I'm home." One year since we stood face to face after thirty-six years of my not knowing of your existence. One year since I looked on you with my own eyes and recognized you instantly and my spirit gave you a name . . .
Sister.

So much has happened in this one year and I'm so glad you have been a part of it. You have listened, advised, comforted, congratulated and rejoiced. And so today, on your birthday-in-my-heart, I just wanted to say thank you sister, for finding us and being a part of one miraculous year.

I love you.

The Sibs, circa 2000

The Sibs, circa 2008

14 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Dear Sister, you are eloquent,as always, with matters of the heart.

I love you, this lovely blog, the warm and loving reception you extend to me every day. I love our Heavenly Father, most of all, for lavishing such a lovely family on little old me.

Kernal Ken said...

Dear Daughters,
I am sitting here on a Friday morning, reading two of the best writers I know... and crying, of course.

Thanks to both of you for being the special women that you are. And thanks to the Queen for her continuing love for all - especially me.

Sue said...

Lots of smiles and goosebumps from this reader this morning.

Someone really should make a movie of your story. It's truly amazing and I am so blessed to be a part of your lives.

The Queen Vee said...

Beautifully written.

I concur with Apis "I love our Heavenly Father, most of all, for lavishing such a lovely family on little old me."

And I will add, I'm grateful ....so grateful that he is mindful of me despite my faults and willing to pour out blessings in abundance on me and my family.

Finally...thank you to all my dear children for their continuing love and support of parents who are not perfect but ones who keep trying.

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

You guys have such a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. So eloquently written!!!

Hil said...

I love this story. Beautiful and wonderful and amazing and just happy. So, so full of love for your family. What a great day!

Tarra said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post. I am blessed through the reading and the knowing.

Emily said...

Made me cry.

Tobi said...

Has it already nee a year? A year since Apis waltzed and stole our collective hearts in fell swoop?

I love this post. I love you Sam. And of course I love Apis!

Anonymous said...

a beautiful post from one sister to another. Pat, J&J say to the Kernal and the Queen: thank you for letting us watch the story unfold.

Lori said...

To the sweet sisters I call cousins-
I'm sure this incredible journey continues to amaze and bless you each and every day. I feel lucky and blessed to be part of your extended family. I am truly inspired by the talents and qualities you both possess. Thanks to each of you for encouraging me to be a better mom, sister, and daughter. I look forward to the day when I can give the sweet bee and her sister a hug for myself. Love you both.

lee kriel said...

beautiful.

Ana said...

This touching post moved me to tears. As did learning from Apis a little over one year ago about the unimaginable miracle that YOU existed and of everything that meant. I have never heard you speak (although I hope I will someday soon!), but when I first read your blog I could not believe how strikingly similar your "voice" was to that of my beloved friend. Amazing! Congratulations on this very special anniversary!

squeezeme said...

To a girl whose heart was about to overflow with emotion--let the flood gates open.

I love you Sam, and so I love Melissa already and still look forward to the day we can meet in person. Until then I will enjoy your words on this inspiring little blog.