May 6, 2009

Time To Surrender . . .

Know what this is? I'll give you a hint: it is something that is cherished beyond measure by a member of my posse.

Here's a little history for you. There are two things that hold true for all the babies who have thus far been born into our little dragonfly family:

1. The babies take to pacifiers like bears to honey and then quickly forget them when they are taken away to the "Paci Fairy" at the ripe old age of two.

2. The babies form an unusual and quick attachment to one blanket out of the many they are exposed to as newborns. This attachment is never, and I mean NEVER ending, as in eternal and forever. The blanket and the child become one until I end up with a kid who sleeps with something like this wrapped around his little face at night:

Exhibit A

(also known as Swiss Cheese, "Rag Blankie" or RedDog's BFF)

What am I supposed to do with this thing? It is chenille, hand crocheted and falling apart faster than I can 'pretend mend' it. I keep finding strands of it all over the house. I think RedDog may be taking strands to school with him so he and the blanket don't have to be at two different locations for too long. Let me make it clear that at a certain age (usually 3) we restrict the blankets to sleeping hours only - otherwise it could get a little weird around here.

Hannie B's blanket is now 9 years old and holding up fine. When I go in to kiss her before I go to bed at night, I usually find her with it wrapped like a scarf around her neck or like a swami around her head.

Big C opted to finally put his blanket (hand crocheted by Great Grandma W) up in his memory box for safe keeping. I think he reaches up there and gives it a pat every now and again just to make sure it's okay. And he's taken quite nicely to a manly fleece blanket I made him for Christmas two years ago that's covered in skulls and crossbones.

But the RedDog and his Rag will not be separated and as you can see by the picture, it's close to becoming two entirely distinct pieces of blanket. I'm looking for suggestions. What do your kids love and cherish? What is their comfort item? What do you do when it is no longer alive and well? Who should surrender? The blanket, or me?

8 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Maybe one of your talented readers could crochet a duplicate?

I know someone who had a similar attachment to a tattered blankie. It got smaller with each washing and by the time it was a 4" x 4" square, she was ready to say goodbye.

Red Dog got any ideas?

Kasey said...

I remember when my Mom took away my blanket. It was a sad day. If looked like yours if not worse. But it was such a comfort. I did move on, but will always have the memory.

Emily said...

Oh gosh, I have no words of advice to offer here. None of my kids have been attached to a blanket, although I think it would have helped. Looks like it needs to be tossed though, much like my poor old sandals, poor reddog!

The Queen Vee said...

Go and read this at a new favorite BLOG.

http://sippicancottage.blogspot.com/2009/05/treasure-from-2007.html

Red Dog you're so special and so is your blanky.

Tobi said...

Princess had a really hard time relinquishing her puff-puff (pacifier). In a very cold hearted move I took it from her and tossed it in the trash. Right in front of her.

When she asked for her puff-puff at bedtime I told her that an evil ogre stole it and took it to Russia. Princess still to this day says, "I can't like Russia."

Personally I say hold a special ceremony and say goodbye to the blankie. But that's just my inner mean Mommy rearing her obnoxious head.

christy said...

I wish I had a great suggestion. Maybe Red Dog can help you decide. If there was a way to just save a good piece on a corner I would try it but I wouldn't know how. I have no crochet skills. You'll have to let us know what you decide.

Sue said...

Have you ever read "Owen" by Kevin Henkes? It tells of a little mouse that can't part with his blankie. His Mom and Dad try the blanket fairy, but he hides his blanket inside his pajama bottoms so that wicked fairy can't touch his precious. His Mom finally gets the brilliant idea to cut the blanket up into several little handkerchiefs and Owen carries on happily with a little hanky always at his disposal.

Find a cute little old lady in your ward that crochets and have her do a little surgery on RedDog's lovie. Then he can rotate the little scraps, always keeping one on his pillow for nighttime.

west wind said...

What about sewing it onto the top of another fabric? I would use rick-rack stitch and a sewing maching and sew it onto a piece of fleece. Run around the edges, including the torn areas, and then through it a few times to tack it to the fleece. Presto. BTW, I love the Henkes book "Owen."