January 22, 2009

It's A Bore, It's A Chore (Part C) . . .


Big Oops! on that one. I thought I pushed my last post to "save as a draft" so I could come back and finish it after having lunch out with The Hubby, but I must have pushed "publish" instead and given you all a raw and totally unfinished ramble about chores.

Aside: Don't you love my Obamicon? I thought it was fitting for this post since I am the generator and enforcer of all chores around here. It falls squarely under my position as meanest mom on the planet. And I'll answer the allowance question at the end. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the Hubby fix my scanner so I can scan in the chore charts I used when the kids were smaller which were a big help for non-readers since they had pictures of each chore!

Now, the moment you've all been waiting for (or the moment I've been waiting to finish - whatever) . . .

Age Appropriate Chores of the Dragonfly Kids
(Insert applause here.)
The older age bracket automatically includes any and all of the chores from the younger age brackets.
2-3 Year Olds
  • clean up toys to a basket or marked bin (teaches putting things away in proper place)
  • put dirty laundry into hamper
  • carry in light weight grocery items, such as bread or paper towels
  • help mom make bed each morning (hand pillows)
  • look cute and act helpless at all times

3-4 Year Olds

  • make bed with a little help
  • dust furniture with a sock on hand
  • help sort laundry into colors
  • learn to put own laundry away (I label drawers at first with a picture)
  • carry in light grocery bags
  • help set table (napkins)
  • pick up sticks in back yard after a storm
  • deliver shoes from shoe basket to family member rooms
  • leave cute behind and instead whine and cry when asked to do any of the above

5-6 Year Olds

  • make bed independently
  • sort laundry independently
  • put new bags in emptied trash cans
  • put silverware away from dishwasher
  • get mail/newspaper
  • swiffer/sweep wood floors
  • sort and fold socks
  • carry in groceries
  • windex small windows (french doors, transoms)
  • help wash car
  • think you're smart and get the job done in the fastest, sloppiest fashion ever

7-8 Year Olds

  • strip bedding for laundering
  • set/clear table
  • clean mirrors, wipe down toilet & sink with disposable wipe
  • empty trashcans
  • vacuum stairs with handheld vac
  • carry down laundry baskets
  • answer phone/take messages
  • leaf blow back deck/front porch
  • become a true helper, whistling while you work

9-10 Year Olds

  • empty dishwasher
  • carry garbage out to big trash can
  • help put groceries away
  • run a load of laundry
  • clean an entire bathroom, including tub and floor
  • vacuum a room
  • grumble, mumble, and curse the chores, but do them anyway, because you've finally realized that they are NOT going away.

11-12 Year Olds

  • mow lawn (with supervision)
  • watch siblings for one hour
  • feel and act cool because you actually have serious responsibility and serious ABILITY!
Now, before you call CPS on me - my kids don't do all these chores all the time. I do many things and they do what's left. These are just the possibilities of what they are ABLE to do. It's more than I ever thought possible in the beginning and I am amazed at what helpful little people they are.

We do give our kids an allowance (50 cents for every year they are old) but we have been very deliberate in not tying the allowance to the chores, because - say it with me- "Chores are part of being a member of a family", not something extra you get payment for. We actually decided to give our kids allowance to help them gain skills in dealing with finances and paying tithing to our church. I could do another post on that later depending on interest.

I guess that's about it. Sorry to be so long winded. Let me just shut the door on chores by saying that I have great respect for the way my parents and in-laws were raised - working on farms and in their homes, baking, mending, laundering and scrubbing, building and repairing - AS CHILDREN. This, I believe, is one reason they are all remarkable people today. I want that for my children, so I have lovingly given them THE GIFT of chores. The end.

7 comments:

Suzanne C said...

Like you need one more thing to do...but, please do a post on the allowance. I like that idea. My oldest is really developing an appreciation for having the opportunity to pay tithing.

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

I think this is a great list. My little Ben is only 2 months old, but I am going to refer to this list when he gets older!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I am following in your footsteps, girl! I read both posts, and you helped me think up a few more things my guys are able to do and I didnt think of it! I agree with everything you said!!!!
It DOES take everyone in the house pulling their load to have a happy house...I call it a blessing when I help my kids, and sometimes they do a job for their brother and I hear them say, "I did a blessing for you today". That warms my heart! My husband also has jobs--Cooking, cleaning the 4(!!!)toliets, putting away his own clothes...and yes, he works...
but it works for us!

Apis Melliflora said...

We gift our kids a new chore on their birthdays starting at the age of three. At which time, the oldest gets to gift one of his easier chores to the younger ones.

You're absolutely right. It is a gift.

When kids complain about something we as parents feel is important, my usual line is "I wouldn't teach you this/ask you to do this if I didn't love you."

Dan and Bec said...

Thanks Samantha! I too was raised in a home where I learned to work hard as a child! I remember one spring break mom made us paint the entire house, start a garden, and organize all the closets. It took the entire break but then we had a day of FUN!
Thanks for the post, that was very helpful! Jacob and Tess are both adorable helpers right now so I need to take advantage of it NOW! (if you get a chance, the picture chore chart would be great!) Thanks!

Tobi said...

I loved the age appropriate chore list. Especially the look cute and act helpless at all times. My very own Princess has that act down pat.

Emily said...

Love this chore list. I'm working on revamping chores at our home and so this helps a lot. Do you do allowance once week or once a month?