November 19, 2008

Controversial . . .

If you are opposed to anything wood or brick ever being painted, turn back now. Do not continue reading. Avert your eyes and protect your children from the horror! I am about to unveil a project that may spark great controversy in the blog world . . .

When we lived in Utah we had a beautiful mantle and fireplace that were custom built for us by our builder. I loved them and was glad they were the centerpiece of our family room. When we moved to Virginia 5 1/2 years ago, we hired a contractor to do some work in the new house. We gave him a picture of our Utah mantle/fireplace and asked him to recreate it on the fireplace in Virginia, which was a sad little box with some fake granite tiles around it and no mantle at all. He told us it would be no problem, a piece of cake, easy as pie, etc.
What we ended up with was a wonky mantle that only semi-resembled our Utah mantle.

For the past 5 1/2 years I have threatened to do something to it, and now I've finally followed through. Though the brick was lovely and very old looking, the red in it just didn't work with my very light cottage decor. So before the in-laws came in October, I taped that puppy off and painted it - and the best part was that I only used supplies that I already had in the house, making this project a complete FREEBIE!

After the painting was done (two coats Kilz primer, two coats semi-gloss) I realized that the gaps between the brick and the woodwork were much more noticeable now that it was all white (remember, it's wonky) so I had the Hubby cut some trim which we adhered with some crazy "sticks to everything" kind of compound you can put in a caulk gun. Here's the finished result, which I love. The mantle has been cleaned off and is ready for the Christmas decor to go up in a few weeks. I'm hoping to throw together a great garland like this one here. Let me know - can you handle the controversy of painted brick?

ps. Any one notice that I've switched out my white slipcovers for my beige corduroy? Gotta love IKEA!

14 comments:

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I love it! It is awesome! Great job! (IKEA sells slipcovers??? I am so there to buy one!! Thanks for the tip!)

Kasey said...

I really like the finished product. I'm not against painting it at all. Way to go.

Emily said...

You are very brave. I think it looks great. I just don't know if I could be that brave. Love the slipcovers, wish they still sold those ones.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I think it looks great. I wish I'd taken a photo of the brown mantel I had before I painted it white. Mine is lined with marble though - so I'm not sure that can be painted...
at least it's fairly neutral marble.

I likey the decor.

C and Co. said...

It turned out MARVELOUS!! I love painted brick! Way to go on your fabulously free fireplace makeover!! Love it!!

The Queen Vee said...

Paint is a cheap good friend, kind of like a cheap date but ohhhhh so much better. And that's how the fireplace looks, soooo much better.

Apis Melliflora said...

Some I know, do not believe in painting anything that hasn't already come painted. I do not subscribe to that philosophy. Your new fireplace fits in perfectly with the rest of the room. So crisp and clean and peaceful.

chelsea said...

I think it looks good! Looks like it would go a lot better with your decor...not that I have been to your house or anything...one day =(

LJB said...

I had never thought of painting brick before! It looks great! I need you to come to my house and do a makeover! Pretty Please!!!!!

Tobi said...

You did have a great mantle in Utah. I vaguely recall talk of dismantling it and taking it with you when you moved.

I think the white brick really compliments the rest of your house!

west wind said...

Hmmmm, wife of the builder and fine woodworker agrees that the fireplace is wonky. Same wife of the builder and fine woodworker is wondering how the pores in the bricks and wood are breathing now that they are painted. Guess that puts me in the minority of natural brick and wood lovers. Sorry! I can't help it.

west wind said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
west wind said...

Wow, I just realized that my comment posted twice. Then blogger let me delete it. Didn't think I could do that. Aren't only you supposed to be able to do that?

Anonymous said...

I don't know Sam... I kind of like the brick. Plus what if you get tired of the white?