October 30, 2008

Ode To A Cookie . . . And A Boyfriend!



It has finally arrived. This is the day that I "out" the Boyfriend Cookies. As I type this post, I am dropping little crumbs of oatmealy goodness on my keyboard with reckless abandon. It's the cookies! I can't help myself. They're so darn delicious, I can't eat them fast enough!

A little history for those not in the know:

Many years ago I dated a boy who had the best oatmeal cookie recipe. Ever. In the entire universe of cookies. (If any one mentions Costco's oatmeal cookies - I will shun them.) He used to make these cookies and my whole family would swoon over them and him. What kind of high school boyfriend does that? One day I convinced him to give me the recipe. That was a very good day. And though our relationship eventually ended, one of the things that still remains is that cookie recipe, in his handwriting, tucked away in a safe place in my cookbook.
Fast forward to me meeting and marrying The Hubby , a.k.a. My Boyfriend (to our kids). One day I'm feeling the need for a little buttery, oatmealy love so I make "the cookies". The Hubby eats an entire dozen - still warm from the oven - and then while smacking his lips in a satisfied manner says, "I love that boyfriend of yours. I am so glad you dated him. I love him and I love his cookies."
So, the cookies previously known as "Mr. X's Super Duper Oatmeal Cookies" (no that's not his real name . . . protecting the innocent and all that stuff) are now known to everyone in my family and to many of my friends as "The Boyfriend Cookies" because they came from a great boyfriend and are now the number one favorite cookie of my forever boyfriend.
If enough of you beg - I might get permission to share the recipe with you on the blog . . .
Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Dan and Bec said...

Great Post Sam! I needed to laugh! I might just need to make me some "boyfriend cookies", they look de-lish!

Apis Melliflora said...

I humbly kiss the feet of the Boyfriend Cookie baker and ask, no--BEG--that she share the recipe with some, if not all of us. Of course, I would have to be included in that some.

Grovel, grovel, grovel.

The Queen Vee said...

The truth has been revealed, he made the dough but his mom baked the cookies.

I love Mr B and his family too. Thanks for the memories, no that's all wrong. Thanks for the cookies, they are yummmy and low calorie too.

Oh, I told a lie in my comment.

C and Co. said...

I think I might just reach right through the blog and grab one of those delicious-looking morsels from your past!! Yummo!!! Please share the recipe!!

The Dragonfly said...

Some of you are having a hard time helping me keep the cookie maker's identity anonymous . . .

Emily said...

I know how to beg and I need a new cookie recipe, especially one that the "husbird" would like, because he normally doesn't like oatmeal cookies.

LJB said...

Please Please Please share the recipe! In case you can't see, I'm on my knees pleading......please!

The Queen Vee said...

You mean Mr Boyfriend?

Julie said...

Hilarious. But in all seriousness - I'm begging. You HAVE to post the recipe. Otherwise, you're just taunting us.

Lori Gerten said...

I want to know who the BF was. Someone from Heidelberg? Or back in the states?

Ruby Red Slippers said...

PLEASE POST THE RECIPE! I am dripping saliva on my computer as I type....

Tobi said...

Please allow me to kiss your bum-bum...

You are a wise woman! You are sweet and kind. You know the blogging universe backwards and forwards. Your every blog is filled with sunshine and makes everyone's day a little brighter.

Oh great blogging woman with mad cookie making skills. PLEASE GRACE US with the Boyfriend Cookie recipe.

I'll dream of you and those sweet cookies!!

Anonymous said...

P L E A S E.......................

Ryan said...

Knowing your superb taste in pies, I can only imagine how wonderful this cookie recipe must be. Please, please, please share!!!

TooTall said...

Okay Sam- I have to comment on the cookies. I was there when the "boyfriend" first made us those cookies in Mannheim, Germany. Do you remember watching The Little Mermaid and eating those cookies????

Hil said...

I've had those cookies before. :) I believe some were delivered to me on my 16th birthday. Do I know kmorin? I didn't recognize the pic...
BTW, I got the Hannie B halloween decor just in time! Love it!!!

Kim Breinholt said...

Sam, you posted the picture just right. I don't think the boyfriend ever actually bakes the cookies. Rumor has it that although his children all learned to make the dough at a very early age, none of them will actually eat a "Mr X's Super Duper Oatmeal Cookie"--unless it is a dough ball, in which case they are consumed by the bowlfull.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i have some soft sugar cookies that i long for that my former boyfriends mom made on all holidays...this gave me the incentive to try to get that recipe....funny story!