March 28, 2008

Do Not Try This At Home . . .


The Hubby came home early from work yesterday so that I could go out and spend a little time visiting with my parents. So I wanted to say thanks Hubby! Love you for making time for me to do the things that really matter!

But now, Hubby, I've got a little bone to pick with you - and oh, you know I'm calling you out on the blog! I just want to remind you that Funnel Cakes are meant to be made at carnivals and amusement parks for a reason. You should not try to make them at home. Even if the picture on the box (which you bought a year ago) looks good. And even if you can almost taste the lightly crisped oily sprinkled with powdered sugar goodness of it. And especially not if it is going to make you the cool dad who made funnel cakes while the kids had friends over.

Why? Why, you may ask - well the reasons are many, but I'm gonna go with the fact that twenty four hours later every inch of our house still smells like its been deep fried in a fatty oil bin. Curtains, couch, clothes, hair - ew, even hair! And even after the very chilly "airing out" and the army of nicely scented candles I lit for over three hours last night.
When I woke up this morning, I thought it smelled better, but after coming in from errands this morning, I realized it was only because I had slept in the smell overnight and now smelled like it myself. It is not better. And I do not like it.

Please, please dear Hubby, don't make Funnel Cakes ever again. I promise I'll buy you one the next time we go to Hershey Park or Disneyworld.

And about that last funnel cake that's been sitting on the counter for a day - I left it out on the back porch for the birds to eat.

10 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Dude, you bought the package and I'm totally sure it was calling his name! Give the man the ammo... In the words of Bill Crosby: "Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake!"

The Dragonfly said...

Oh,no,no - I didn't buy the package! He bought the package over a year ago after a trip to an amusent park. The only reason he found it is because I cleaned out the pantry this week. It was hiding in the depths - where it should have stayed, for sure!

The Queen Vee said...

Yum! Could be worse, could smell like burnt eggs or, well, we won't go there.

What a great dad, I can see a children's book with the title "The Day Dad Made Funnel Cakes" sure to be a best seller. Your kids will never forget those cakes and the house will soon have a new smell.

The Carlsons said...

I wish I smelled like deep fried funnel cakes..
-Black Sheep

Lori Gerten said...

ha! I love this post because my hubby always always wants to make pot roast. And although I never eschew his pot roast plans I CAN'T STAND THE SMELL OF POT ROAST so I totally understand. In fact, I have my methods to get rid of stinky pot roast smell. . .

1) Let bleach (Or Mr. Clearn or something like that sit in toilet for awhile. You could also put it in the kitchen sink.

2) Pledge all the cabinets

3)Spray with febreze and lysol both at the same time.

4) Put peppermint extract in the garbage disposal and let sit (or onthe floor of the sink after you are done with dishes. I own stock in peppermint extract. It's especially yummy around Christmas time!

There are some ideas. See if they work for you!

PS Dogs can't stand the lysol/febreze spray. They go into a horrible sneezing fit and run away and hide for awhile!

Boan said...

oh but they are soooo gooooooood

The Carlsons said...

All I can do is giggle about this one. A

Hil said...

I LOVE funnel cakes! But I love them best at Six Flags. :)

Tobi said...

If Funnel Cakes are his worst offense then I would say your hubby is pretty darn wonderful. I second Shar's Motion. "DAD IS GREAT! GIVE US CHOCOLATE CAKE!"

The Queen Vee said...

I didn't notice that the house smelled like funnel cakes when I was there today. Guess I was just to excited about the bird nursery.