August 10, 2007

In Memorium . . .



I am saddened today by the passing of President James E. Faust, a member of the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was a genuine and humble servant of God.

I thought it would be appropriate to honor him by sharing the links to two of my favorite talks he gave in recent years. The first, entitled "The Light In Their Eyes" can be accessed here http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-559-6,00.html.

The second, given this past April in General Conference, is called "The Healing Power of Forgiveness" and can be found here http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-690-24,00.html .

As I looked back over the words of President Faust this afternoon, I realized that many of his talks are the ones that have left a deep spiritual impression on me as I originally listened to General Conference. It was very enriching to revisit his words today and once again implant them in my heart and memory.

Let me end this tribute by leaving a quote from a talk President Faust gave back in 1998. I remember listening to this talk and being overcome with emotion as he spoke of his grandmother, and through tears admitted his shortcoming in dealing with her. His humility and sincerity touched me that day, and I committed myself to trying harder to do the little things that may lighten someone else's load.

"I fear that some of our greatest sins are sins of omission. These are some of the weightier matters of the law the Savior said we should not leave undone. These are the thoughtful, caring deeds we fail to do and feel so guilty for having neglected them.
As a small boy on the farm during the searing heat of the summer, I remember my grandmother Mary Finlinson cooking our delicious meals on a hot woodstove. When the wood box next to the stove became empty, Grandmother would silently pick up the box, go out to refill it from the pile of cedar wood outside, and bring the heavily laden box back into the house. I was so insensitive and interested in the conversation in the kitchen, I sat there and let my beloved grandmother refill the kitchen wood box. I feel ashamed of myself and have regretted my omission for all of my life. I hope someday to ask for her forgiveness. "

This man will meet his Savior face to face and find a well deserved place at the right hand of his Father. I thank him for his faithfulness and his prophetic words of counsel.

No comments: