May 16, 2007

The Reality of FIVE Babies . . .

Last night I became fascinated by a show on Discovery Channel called "Quintuplets: The First Year", mostly because my cousin is having quintuplets in July. I sat there and cried as I watched this woman give birth at 30 weeks and 5 days to the tiniest little babies. Her body was ravaged by the pregnancy and the babies had to fight to stay alive for a few months in the ICU before they could go home. Two of the five babies had to have serious surgery to correct vision problems. This couple's home is filled with strangers almost 24 hours a day - strangers who are helping them feed, change and rock the five babies.

This is going to be my cousin's life. When given the option to selectively reduce, they prayed about it and decided not to. They will have a very busy, difficult time ahead of them, but I really admire their desire to bring these children to the earth. What bravery and selflessness.

I also wondered last night, if put in the same situation, would I make the same brave choices?

No comments: