August 7, 2015

Confessions Of A Guilt Ridden Former Blogger . . .

IMG_8581

I used to be a great blogger. Not that the content of my blog was great, but I wrote five days a week. I was devoted. Writing was just part of my every day.

Now I’m a bad blogger. Wait, I don’t think I can even say that. What I meant was, I’m a guilt ridden former blogger. I have walked by my computer no less than seventy-five times in the past month and a half and in my head said the words, “I don’t want to.”

I’m pretty sure the catalyst for this complete slump came by way of the absolute sabotage of the Spiritual Program I was supposed to present at our Stake Girls Camp due to freak weather, including torrential downpour, for the exact two hours the program was scheduled to happen. And so it didn’t happen. To say I had the wind knocked out of my sails would be an understatement. I’m still not recovered from it. The last time I wrote on this blog was two days before the NON-program.

Since then, I’ve hosted two family reunions (one in Arizona!), seen kids off to a week at EFY, had a husband gone on High Adventure, gotten over a nasty cold, and just relaxed and tried to relish the Summer with my kids. I can’t remember the last time I really just enjoyed Summer and my kids. Here are some more of my Summer confessions:

I’ve been walking for an hour every morning by myself, listening to spiritual enlightenment, followed by thumping music recommended by my teenager. Taking that time for ME has been extremely gratifying. It has also made me tired. I need to be tired, because my sleep has been quite messed up lately.

Sometimes, if I don’t get my walk in during the morning, I drag the Hubby out and he walks the hills around our neighborhood with me in the evening when the cicadas are humming and frogs are jumping out into the road. He rescues the frogs and I count rabbits in the grass. I need that time with him. We talk and work through our life’s problems. Mostly I talk and he listens.

I’ve made a conscious effort this Summer to take my younger boys to the pool frequently. We have a great pool in our neighborhood, but in past Summers I didn’t used it because Ollie was little and it was too much work. Plus I am allergic to most sunscreens, so it was a pain for me.  Now Ollie is a fish and I’ve found a sunscreen that works for me which means the boys beg me each day to take them swimming. I suit up and actually get in the water with them. It is good for all of us.

I’ve been cooking on the grill as much as possible. We’re enjoying shishkabobs, Naan pizzas, grilled pineapple, barbequed pork chops – anything I can grill. I love the simplicity of it. We’ve even had several days in July where the food came straight off the grill and onto the table outside because it was cool enough to dine al fresco.

I’m slowly checking some long overdue house projects off of my list. I’ve painted some furniture, recovered six chairs, gone through and organized all of our arts/crafts, cleaned the garage, donated trunk loads to the thrift store and washed all the windows. Two huge projects are hanging over my head to be finished up – our basement stairs and repainting the kitchen cabinets.

I’ve read for pleasure this Summer. I haven’t done that in a very long time. I have missed it like an old friend. So far I’ve read In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson, All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and The Boys In The Boat by Daniel James Brown, which I recommend highly to anyone looking good reads. Two are historical non-fiction but read like novels, which I’ve discovered I enjoy very much. I’ve also reread Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson and Persuasion by Jane Austen. Thumbs up to both, again! I know it isn’t the last time for me to read either of these books. Now I am thoroughly enjoying The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Last confession. On Sunday nights this Summer, I’ve had a 9:00 date with PBS to watch the new Poldark. Last year, upon the insistence of my mother, I watched all twenty-eight hours of the original Poldark (starring Robin Ellis) which she had loved some thirty years ago. We are both enjoying the new adaptation very much and love discussing and comparing it with the original. And in an awesome twist, my mom has been emailing Robin Ellis’ wife!

So there you have it. Confessions. I’m alive. I’m just a bad blogger trying to do better.

6 comments:

Janie said...

First, you're not a bad blogger!! I miss it when you do not blog, but then, when it fits back into your schedule, you more than make up for it. I still check daily (is that a sign of weirdness or what?!) to see if you've added any new news. . . do happy dance when you do! You're doing great - just be 'you' - that's more than okay!

The Queen Vee said...

Ahhh, sigh..Poldark. Old or new he makes my hear beat a little faster. Not 30 years ago, sad to say it's getting closer to 40 years ago.

I just encouraged you to keep blogging for you and your family, the younger boys I think would love to see their lives written about and published too.

No pressure, well not much anyway.

Apis Melliflora said...

There's just not enough time to do all that we want. Your summer sounds so wonderful! You've made so many memories with family and have tended to your own needs. You have found balance. I say "You're doing a great job!"

Darci C. said...

I am sorry about girls camp. Will you let me know what sunscreen you use? I got out to Williamsburg with my girls (hubby had to work) to see my parents and grandparents. I forgot how loud the frog and cicadas are. The lightening bugs are so fun. I miss them here in Northern Colorado.

The Dragonfly said...

Darci, I've had success with CereVe sunscreen. It's not cheap. But I can't do any sprays and I've had no dermatological issues since using it two summers.

TracieCarter said...

Yay!!! You're back at it ;) You never cease to amaze me with all that you pull off! So sorry to hear about your non-program! Ugh!!! Loved reading you again!