December 4, 2012

Giving Owlie Jesus …

I was getting very weary of Owlie’s consistent wrecking of holiday décor.  It only took six hours from the time I set up my cherished nativity {not pictured} for him to break two legs off of a lamb.

We usually have this Playmobile nativity in the basement for the kids to enjoy. I set it up on a table down there, but no matter what I did, Owlie would rearrange it or remove pieces – usually the camel and its treasure boxes.

So I decided to try a new approach.  The entire nativity set went into a wooden bowl on the coffee table upstairs.  Instead of sitting like statues on a shelf, they have been played with like action figures every day since Thanksgiving!

It makes me happy to see my boy gently placing the baby Jesus in the manger and placing Mary by His side.  Then he has the wise men battle each other. There is carnage. And animals strewn every where. We’re still working on that Prince of Peace part.

What do you do to make the Savior accessible to your children at Christmas time?

PS. I spy our new family room rug.  Swoon.

6 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

Playmobile nativity is one of our favorites too! Lego needs to make a nativity set.

Some years, we have hid Jesus around the house and the winkies have to find him. We emphasize that the Lord is always with us wherever we are, even though we can't always see him in the traditional sense. But those who seek and look will find.

That carpet is wonderful! I can see why you're swooning.

yentihw said...

I don't have kids, so my nativity is pretty peaceful this time of year. I did find a large star ornament at Kohl's this year to hang above it, so that's been a new fun addition.

Your rug is divine - may I ask where you got it?

The Dragonfly said...

I got the rug from naturalarearugs.com and it is a chevron patterned seagrass with a two inch twill binding. It is lovely times ten.

Sue said...

Perfect! This year I bought the Fisher Price nativity, but strangely Amelia plays with it more than Mack does!

The Queen Vee said...

No one plays with my nativity but I'm very happy that Owlet has one to play with...delighted that he's bonding with Jesus. Now about the those fighting Wisemen......

Aiketa said...

Oh! I didn't know there was a Playmobile or Fisher Price nativity sets! It's so cool! I googled them, and they are so great!
When I was a little girl, we did the nativity using my mom plastic figures. And it wasn't until I was old enough that we started using the beautiful and breakable ones.

On my nativity baby Jesus wasn't there until December 25th, since he wasn't born yet. And I kept moving the Wise men towards where Jesus was, but it wasn't until January 6th that they got there. I had lots of fun, and my mom was worry free since I could break anything.