March 16, 2012

Solutions …

Finishing this closet has been therapeutic for my inner obsessive/compulsive anal retentive gal.  I get a little giddy every time I walk into it.  I know, I’m weird.

Making this closet more functional was really about creating solutions to make a small space able to do more.  Here are the five things that worked for this space:

1. Double rows of hanging.  Before we had clothes spilling out of drawers, shelves and cubbies.  Now they are all hanging, which means they are less wrinkled and visible so they will get worn more.

2. One type of hanger for the entire closet.  I know, I know, this sounds silly, but it really is helpful! I chose to use wooden hangers.  A package of eight hangers is only $3.99 at IKEA. That is an unbelievable steal! With all one hanger type, the clothing hangs uniformly instead of being smooshed together at random intervals and wrinkling. I also like wood hangers because they don’t bend or break.

3. Divided overhead space.  In our newly remodeled closet, this space is very high up. {Like 7 feet} We have a stool to reach things, but we’ve reserved this space for the things we use least often. Unfortunately for me, that means workout clothes.

4. Shoe Storage {off the floor}. Prior to the closet improvements, we had all of our shoes on the floor.  With double hanging rods, that was no longer possible and I was so glad.  The Hubby and I both have a lot of shoes and it was a shoe jumble on the floor.  Having shoe shelves puts the shoes at eye level. We likey. We likey very much.

5. Divided laundry hampers. We got a wicker laundry hamper as a wedding gift from my brother and his wife.  How 1990’s is that?  Up until this week we were still using it.  The problem was that it had a lid and we ended up stacking stuff on top of it due to the Horizontal Surface Rule.  Now we have a hamper for lights and darks, thus making my laundry days easier. And now our hampers have no lids, so no more junk cluttering on top! These hampers are $3.99 at IKEA. They should last for about three years and then I’ll replace them with the exact same thing.

My shoes = happy.  In this photo you can also see the Hubby’s  tie rack on the other side of the window.  It was so fun to color code them.  Seriously OCD, I know, but easier when he wants to look for a blue or red tie to go with a suit.  Every organizing show I’ve seen that conquers closets recommends color coding the clothing.  If you’re looking for that favorite green sweater, it makes more sense to look through the green section than having to rifle through the entire lot, right?

So, there you have it!  Our newly improved closet.  Next I have to tackle the mess under our bed.  There may or may not be things living under there.  Yikes.

Have a great weekend.  Ours is going to be INSANE.  If I survive it, it will be a miracle.

8 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

WOW, it looks FAB and oh so organized. Worth every penny that you spent.

Apis Melliflora said...

Wowza!

That is totally impressively organized.

So pretty, you could have a picnic in there.

Aiketa said...

That is a really cool organized closet!!! It looks great!

I'm going to have a great weekend since it's my theatre group Spring getaway! Love it!!!

Though you say your weekend is going to be insane, I hope it is still a good one. And I'm pretty sure you will survive, you are a strong woman! :)

@Apis, you made me laugh with the line: "you could have a picnic in there." hahahah

MelancholySmile said...

What a beautiful closet!! I may have to borrow the double-rod idea, since J seems averse to folding anything (it always ends up on the floor instead!)

What an accomplishment! Good luck with your busy weekend!

squeezeme said...

Oh wow. And inspiring...

Kernal Ken said...

I think that one of the Official Rules of Closets is that when a new pair of shoes arrives, an old pair must depart. At least that's what the Queen tells me about shirts...

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

Looks fantastic!!!!!

melissa gargalis said...

you don't know me, I am a good friend of the family back in the day. You need to submit your closet redo to this blog called I heart organizing. She would totally post this. It's awesome! Love your blog and seeing your sweet kids and their similarities to my favorite Lee people