February 13, 2012

To Love & Be Loved …

Happy Valentine's Day!  My hope for today is that everyone, no matter what their situation, feels loved today.  God loves each of us. He wants us to love and be loved. You are loved. That is truth.

Today I wanted to share this letter my Grandmother Mable Carlson wrote eighty-one years ago when she was Mable Johnson.  It’s actually a journal entry my mom thought I’d enjoy and it is the sweetest, most genuine comment on love.  To read it made me smile from ear to ear.

August 11, 1931

Today marked the most perfect day I have lived – ever.

Gunnar C. Carlson has been my “pal” and “buddy” until now. he told me he loves me and only God knows how I love him – so “pal” and “buddy” are more than that. We talked about the future. Could I take good care of him? I’d love to try.  Would we ever quarrel? What could we quarrel about? Why wasn’t I down at the station to see him off to West Point? Other collegiates were there and all gave him gifts. I must not have been home and besides, I didn’t know him well.

Today we went to watch the progress of the tennis tournament on the new Riverside Courts. Sat in his cute Chevy sport model and visited with many friends. Gaiety and fun every minute. He’s a real buddy.

Tonight Mother and Dad played bridge with us. Then Kenny came so it change to Michigan; later bridge again and with this change came our luck.

At a lunch at the new Moline Lunch with the folks. Gunnar is charming and most of all – a gentleman.

When he said “I Love You” millions of tiny thrills ran up and down my spinal column.

It is now one forty-five and I can’t go to sleep.  I AM IN LOVE.

Isn’t it divine?  That she wondered if she could care for him well enough. That she believed they would never fight.  That she found it important that he was a gentleman.  That thrills ran up and down her spine at the words, “I Love You.” That this simple day was a perfect day to her.

New love is exciting.  And even though time goes by and life gets full of so much to do and be, I hope I can always remember the things that made me fall in love with my Hubby years ago.  This letter reminded me of that.

Last night the table was set and we enjoyed a lovely {if not slightly chaotic} dinner as a family with my parents joining us for our Love Feast. On the menu: Porcupine Meatballs, Baked Potatoes, Spinach Salad with fresh berries and Cherry Jello!

Tonight I am getting dolled up to go to a fancy Five Star restaurant with my sweetheart. I can’t remember the last time we actually had a date ON Valentine’s Day. I am looking forward to it.

Enjoy a few details from our Love Day Dinner.

Everybody got a handmade Valentine from me.  I’ll share them tomorrow – even though Valentine’s Day will be over. Being on steroids has made me a productive nighttime worker!

RedDog helped me stencil each napkin with a heart for a CubScout project.  We hid the cards underneath the napkins.

It was a lovely night.  Hope you have a great day today.

4 comments:

Kernal Ken said...

Gunnar and May were married in October 1932. It was advertised as "Moline's Second Military Wedding".

By chance, the new bridge across the Mississippi to Rock Island Arsenal opened that night, and the festivities were covered by radio cub reporter, Ronald Reagan, who brought his microphone and gear to the wedding after the bridge ceremony.

Gunnar and May celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary in 1982, just six months before Gunnar's untimely passing.

Apis Melliflora said...

Thanks for sharing the letter. The thrill of new love is one of life's amazing blessings!

Have a great time at the fancy schmancy restaurant with your Valentine!

The Queen Vee said...

I love all the 1930's venacular in this lovely love journal entry.

Your Valentine's dinner was a feast for the eyes, heart and body. Thanks for including us.

AllisonK said...

The dinner sounds like it was fun and certainly beautiful.

The letter is a treasure. Thank you for sharing it.