June 5, 2011

To Dream The Impossible Dream . . .

Either my children have died and gone to heaven or hell has frozen over.  Because as of yesterday, we are officially the owners of a new pet bunny. Did I mention that I’m allergic to bunnies? And to the idea of pets in general.

I am still asking myself the age old question, “How on Earth did this happen?” Meanwhile, the Hubby is hoisting forty pound bags of bunny food onto the deck, RedDog is filling the water bowl, Hannie B. is shoving baby carrots through the cage grates, Big C. is making hutch plans and Owlie is screaming over and over again at the top of his lungs, “BUNNNNNNEEEEEEE!”

Now I will tell you how this actually did happen.  Because it is all my fault. See, I gave the Hubby a book for Christmas called “To The Rescue”.  It is the biography of Thomas S. Monson, the current president and prophet of our church.  He raised animals as a young boy and it created great bonds between him and others.  The Hubby, who desires to forger stronger bonds with RedDog and Hannie B. decides a bunny is the way to go.  As luck would have it, a family in our church congregation breeds bunnies and has some available babies. The kids go pick a bunny and bring him home.

What have I learned? That the Hubby is a sucker. That my allergies are no barrier between my children and their happiness. And that I won’t be buying books for the Hubby anymore because they give him crazy ideas.

Now we need your help.  This bunny is without a name.  We could not agree on one yesterday.  Hannie B. thought maybe some blog readers would have good ideas.  If you would like to suggest a name for our male bunny, please look into his sweet black eyes, get a sense for who he is as a creature and leave a comment.  We will be taking suggestions until Wednesday night.  We will throw in any last minute family suggestions and then then we will vote and pick our family favorite.

Until then, pray for me. And for us.  And by all means, feel free to pray for the bunny that he survives the madness that is this family.

21 comments:

christy said...

Love it. We're bunny owners as well. Ours is Sergeant Tibbs. I think you need some kind of ranking, whatever name you choose. Our cat is Colonel Jinxie, if that tells you who rules the roost around here. Good luck with the bunny.

Kasey said...

He looks like a Kenny to me. I'm sure the kids said, "Can we keep him, please???? So I got Kenny from Can we. It's a stretch but....

The Queen Vee said...

How about "Dinner"?

The Queen Vee said...

Oh, don't let him get loose in A and C's yard they're a hunting rabbits over there.

It's cute but will make me sneeze.

Mel said...

Tommy. In honor of Pres. Monson - the one ultimately responsible for your predicament!

Apis Melliflora said...

Uncle Thomas has been brainstorming and here's his list (it's long, but varied):

Literary names: Runny Babbitt, Uncle Wiggly, Aberforth, Frisby

Film/ TV names: Neo, Harvey, Buckwheat, Alfalfa

Food names: Parsley, Sassafras, Pistachio, Cadberry, Pfefferkuchen (Pfeffie for short, means gingersnap), Cinnabon

Boy oh boy! That bunny is so cute.

TracyS. said...

Carmine. It's Italian and it gives a slight nod to his carmel color.
Lucky kids. The kids have been wanting a pet for years and the only one I would consider is a bunny. Would love to know who you got him from, for when I finally bite the bullet.

Susan said...

Such an adorable bunny! How about butterscotch or c.c. - for caramel cutie :)

Aiketa said...

He is so cute! And for being a baby, so big!

I'm gonna think of some beautiful Catalan/Spanish names for the bunny. And I'll let you know, but before I have to do the thinking.

squeezeme said...

How fun! Your bunny is adorable! When Matt and his brothers were growing up they had bunnies. One day they bet their younger brother, Andy, that he could not fit in the bunny cage.....well Andy took the bait and was locked in. A few hours later thier mom asked where Andy was......oops! I am certain your children would NEVER pull such a stunt! How about Benny the bunny?

MelancholySmile said...

Little Miss C suggests Nutmeg. I'm partial to Cottontail or Cadbury. Good luck on the new pet. {It's going to be an outdoor pet, right? Just thinking of your allergies...}

Apis Melliflora said...

Thanks for the spelling tip Melancholy. Cinnabon is supposed to be Cinnabun (as in bunny).

Stacey Gerlach Moe said...

Wow, I applaud you. I don't think I would have caved in and gotten one!

But, how about Arthur???

Aiketa said...

PÈSOL in Catalan means pea. Pronunciation here (although is not perfect): http://translate.google.com/#en|ca|pea

CONILL in Catalan means rabbit. Pronunciation: http://translate.google.com/#en|ca|rabbit

KIU, it doesn't mean anything but is my dog's name.

For now these are my suggestions.

The Nerd Mom said...

One of my all-time favorite novels is "Watership Down" about a group of rabbits who flee their doomed warren (it's being bulldozed for human houses) into the countryside in search of greener pastures. Some of the great rabbit names include:

Hazel (my favorite and the main protagonist, though i know yours is male)
Fiver (a runt and a "seer" who warns the others of the impending doom)
Frith (a God-figure in the story)


Maddie suggests the Disney stand-by - Thumper!

jennifer's little things said...

Oh, he's a cutie.

And he looks very much like a Frederick to me......

Laura Waltz said...

We had a bunny for a while when I was younger. He was named Cuddles. He was awesome, and so sweet (even though he nibbled on things he shouldn't when he was loose in the house).

TracieCarter said...

I'm daily fending off dog fever here! Luckily our building doesn't allow pets so I'm safe for a time. He reminds me of your caramels that had me salivating months ago. Sorry, I pretty much equate your posts to favorite foods you've introduced me to. Chewie as a nod to any StarWars fans in the house? He is beautiful, but glad he's your little people's and not mine ;) My turn will come some day I'm sure.

Bells said...

He looks like a honey-bun to me, I also like bun-bun. I too have allergies and Maiya recently got a chinchilla, which is darling, but the hay it eats is killing me!

Burton's blog said...

I am praying that you have a better pet experience than I! If a fluffy little dog would suit you better, let me know...I can help.

Sue said...

George.
Or Homewrecker.
Whatever.

P.S. Keep him cool outside during the summer by freezing a water bottle each night and letting him lay on it during the day. You may need two or three a day with that Virginia heat!