April 21, 2010

The Devil Made Me Do It . . .

083
In case you aren’t aware, paint is the devil.  Not a believer?  Let me illustrate:
  • Try deciding on a color based on a tiny 1 X 2 inch square sample.  Impossible.
  • Recognize that even if your picking a blue, it WILL have red or green undertones that are almost undetectable to the human eye.
  • Pick a color and watch it turn into three completely different colors depending on the time of day or light in any given room.
  • Buy one $3 sample jar after another until your room is painted in multi-colored polka dots – none of which are “the” color.
  • Get an entire room painted and HATE the color.  Paint it back to white.
Though I feel somewhat confident in my decorating choices, paint is the one element that haunts me!  And believe me, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree . . . just ask the Queen what color she’s picked for her walls.

I am currently staring at a page filled with 236 different shades of blue.  One of the colors on the page is THE COLOR for the basement. 

When it’s all said and done, I think I’ll put together a little book of all the colors that work time and time again {hello Restoration Hardware’s Silver Sage} and those that are absolutely to be avoided.

How about you?  Do you dance with the devil?  {and I’m strictly talkin’ paint here, people.}

12 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

He, the Devil paint demon, has been on my back for four miserable years. I need some magic here at Kenvick Cottage.

Jami said...

I love my "silver blue". It looks grey on the paint chip but on the wall it looks silver blue.
Behr Paint-"Rhino" It's in my Living Room and my bathroon. I love it!

Apis Melliflora said...

I have at least one color up on four walls that isn't right. And I even had professional help picking it!!

I think the very best way to pick a color is to see it in someone else's home/ studio first.

I agree that choosing paint color is devilishly difficult! But I have faith that you will choose the right color; you have a very good eye for color.

MelancholySmile said...

I always start out loving the 'let's pick a color!' process, but it devolves quickly from there. :) I always seem to take on big painting projects when I'm pregnant-- the nesting instinct-- and right now I want to re pain the entire main floor. But wow, it'd be an exhausting process. Good luck on finding the 'perfect' color! I think basements can be even more difficult because of the artificial light, but I can't help but think that you'll make it elegant and cheerful.

chelsea said...

I have a lot hate relationship with the stuff. When I moved into my new house, all (and I mean ALL) the walls were yellow. I don't have a large home like you, but almost every inch of my house has new paint. I love it at first and then it becomes exhausting. The colors weren't the colors on the 1 inch square, but it's better than yellow so that is all that matters. Do you have textured walls? My problem is trying to tape everything and with textured walls, that tape line is never pretty.

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

I hate picking paint! I painted my bedroom that silver sage a few years ago and I LOVE it! Good choice! I just need to find a good one for carter's room! Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

You are truly your mother's daughter.
-Black Sheep

squeezeme said...

I had to go "light french grey" (home depot-behr) to get the "blue" I was truly after. I must agree that just the right blue hue is possibly the most illusive color to chase. Best of luck, Sam! P.S. Please remember that you helped me find "squirrel" for the outside of my home....I am certain that you knack for paint is still with you....keep searching!

Kasey said...

Man, that must be frustrating. Kudos to you for not giving up though. I need to paint Gibson's room, I just don't know what color to do!

Audrey Carlson said...

I'm lucky I married a paint master. I love all the colors in my house. I questioned him on some of his choices at the beginning but now they were the right choice. And of course, Silver Sage has it's place in our home.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be wonderful. You're house always looks amazing.

Tobi said...

I am a painting chicken and I'm not afraid to admit it. I have never painted any house or apartment that I have lived in. Picking a color would be way too daunting.

christy said...

I totally agree. Choosing paint colors is horrible!! I've made poor choices over and over again. Our first home in Ohio we painted the kitchen what we thought looked like a lovely green. One the walls it looked more like a newborn baby diaper-disgusting. Such a headache. Same thing with the girls' room. I thought I chose a cheery yellow but on the walls it made my eyes almost hurt and gave me a headache. I don't like re-painting rooms. Good luck! I can't wait to see the color you end up with. Maybe I'll steal it for our basement.