February 5, 2010

This. This is nothing . . .

Photo by Jean Miele

See this lovely picture?  It was taken in Bryant Park, New York City after the great snow storm of 2006.  This is what two feet of virgin snow looks like - untouched by humans, unmuddied by passing cars, perfect, serene and beautiful. And this is nothing compared to what our beloved Loudoun County, Virginia sits in wait for today.

Not a flake has fallen, but school is cancelled.  Milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper {the four whites, according to the Queen} have flown off every grocery store shelf in the area.  The lines at Costco yesterday were end-of-the-world long.  The governor has declared a state of emergency.  Cars are qued up at gas stations for a last chance at topping off.  It is a bit hysteria and a bit hysterical.

And any minute - literally any stinking minute - the snow will be arriving.  And it won't stop coming until sometime tomorrow night.  When it's all said and done, we should have approximately 30 inches.  Hard to imagine, right?  Just picture six more inches of snow on top of those delicate chairs in the photo.

Mother Nature is awe inspiring.  And today she is controlling our universe.  We are ready for our psychological experiment.  What will happen when we are cooped up together, in this house, for three days? Here's what I've got at the ready:  Lots of games, all the crafty parts to make beautiful Valentine goodness in the form of cookies and cards for friends and family, the ingredients for a week's worth of delicious comfort food, snacks aplenty for a certain football game, the laundry washed and folded, a Hubby working from home, DVDs and family home movies within arm's reach, shovels standing on end like soldiers in an army, my trusty camera Edward, three giddy children, one cold-ridden infant and a computer with which to document and record. {and of course, toilet paper, milk, eggs and bread}.

Check in on my photoblog {click on that cool dragonfly in the right hand column} for photo updates as the greater Washington DC area experiences what is bound to be a record breaking storm!  
dragonfly signature

9 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

I wish I were hanging out with you guys today.

MelancholySmile said...

Wow, I'm actually kind of excited for you! I hope it's as fun as I'm imagining- warm food and laughter and games-- and doesn't turn into some dreadful cabin fever. :)

Burton's blog said...

There is something so fun about "hunkering" down for a few days. I hope you enjoy! I was reading your snowday post last night with my girls over my shoulder. They were so confused why school is canceled when it snows! After I explained Kennedy said, "That is so cool! Can we move somewhere where it doesn't snow alot so we can miss school when it does?" It was a great chuckle for the night. Snow days around here just means you take a bigger bag to put your boots and snow pants in when you go inside! Enjoy your snow!

The Queen Vee said...

Apis we wish you, the Winkies and the hubby could be with us too. It will be non stop fun at least at the Lee and Chris Carlson households. Here in Bambleton it will just be me and the Kernal, I'll be shoveling non-stop and the Kernal will be pointing out the areas that I will have missed.

Maybe, just maybe I'll make a few zillion Valentines myself, but don't hold your breath.

And yes, we here in Ole Virginny are a bunch of dramatic snow wimps, although in this case it's okay to shut down, hunker down and be wimpy. Unlike the West, where snow is dry and efficiently removed, it freezes up here and makes for dangerous driving conditions for folks who just don't know how to navigate in it.

Oh No, I forgot to buy bread....:-)!

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Did I mention we haven't had one blasted flake yet this year? After last year's blizzard I made sure we had a new sled, snow boots and pants for all and......
NOT A FLAKE IN SIGHT.

Enjoy it. I'm jealous.

Jessie said...

Sounds like you're perfectly prepared to weather the storm. The upside...your kids will love it playing in those 30 inches of glorious snow!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you all too! As long you aren't on the roads...snowstorms are fabulous. I remember onceit snowed on Christmas Day in NYC...and the combination made for empty streets, and a hush that I'd never seen fall over the city before. 'Twas magical. Cheers!

jd said...

I'm watching the west coast news right now and it's showing the snow falling out there! I am fully jealous. I WISH I was snowed in with you all, what a great and cozy time!

btw you know my free flight that I earned from getting bumped/spending Christmas night in Chicago is going towards visiting you, right?? I don't know when... but sometime before next december!

have a great snow-in!

jd said...

And Queen... I'll bet you're pretty dang good at baking your own bread. If you can find the time to do so, in between all the shoveling (and the pointing).

Wish I was there with you!