May 8, 2008

Big Bottom? Good Thing!

I've been waiting years for this - well, at least since I've had my kids and the bottom's dropped out. If you've had kids, you know what I mean - literally, your bottom drops and expands. So there's good news today on the big bottom front. Read and enjoy ladies! (Men, no commenting allowed, unless it has to do with a certain song that goes ' I like big butts and I cannot lie'.)

" A type of fat that accumulates around the hips and bottom may actually offer some protection against diabetes, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday. They said subcutaneous fat, or fat that collects under the skin, helped to improve sensitivity to the hormone insulin, which regulates blood sugar.

Fat that collects around the hips and bottom may protect people against diabetes, according to a new study. "It was a surprising result," said author Dr. Ronald Kahn. In contrast, fat around the abdomen is linked to a greater risk of diabetes and heart trouble.

Researchers have known for some time that fat that collects in the abdomen -- known as visceral fat -- can raise a person's risk of diabetes and heart disease, while people with pear-shaped bodies, with fat deposits in the buttocks and hips, are less prone to these disorders.Now it turns out that subcutaneous fat -- fat found just under the skin -- may be actively protecting people from metabolic disease."

6 comments:

Tobi said...

Better tell your Dad that he needs to get his "ass" back in a hurry.

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

Yes, pears have it better than apples. That's just wrong that all fat is not created equally.

The Queen Vee said...

I'm trying to feel the comfort this info should be giving me. Unfortunately with the the Big Menopause the fat has decided to shift up....not good!

Lori said...

Hurray for the bootylicious news! I'm immune for life. It's about time big butts get a break.

Matt said...

I am only leaving a comment as a courtesy. I will not comment on this post as it will surely get me in trouble in some way, shape or form.

Bite the tongue and walk away. Thank you.

Jodie said...

Guess I don't need to hit the gym tomorrow! I now have the perfect excuse.