April 29, 2008

Go To Your Happy Place . . .



The lovely floating sofa pictured above has lived in my family room for the past four years. It is funny to see a person's reaction when they make the connection between my owning a white sofa and having three kids under the age of ten. Some of them proclaim, "You are a brave woman!" Others cut straight to the chase and ask, "How is it still white?" I just smile that sly smile and in my heart give a big squeeze to my favorite pack-it-flat-build-it-yourself-blue-and-yellow-logoed store . . . Swedish giant IKEA.

The Ektorp sofa is a sheer work of genius. It retails, with the white cover pictured, at $399. It is a very comfortable sofa, and its matching chair and love seat are the perfect compliment to my cottage decor. They also work well as a neutral palette for just about any decorating style. Maybe that's why I know no less than 10 people who own it.

The best part about the Ektorp though, is that the entire piece is slip covered, allowing for complete removal and cleaning. (You thought I was going to say its groovy name, right?) Slip covered furniture is ideal for families with small, greasy handed kids. I can fit this entire cover, plus the cover for the matching chair into two loads of laundry and have a spotless couch (again) overnight!

Another great thing - you can change it up if you want. I've bought a tan corduroy cover for my sofa that I bring out in the fall and keep on through February or March. It adds an element of texture and warmth to get us through the winter, and it gives our sparkling white slipcover a little break from my three stain happy kiddoes. IKEA offers about ten or twelve different slipcovers, which increase in price as the fabric selection gets nicer. (I think you can even get it in leather, but that won't cost $399!)

So, this couch is just one of those things that makes me happy. Being at IKEA makes me happy. It is true that about 85% of their merchandise is far too modern, crazily colored and weird for me, but that other 15% is truly practical, moderately priced and downright dreamy to a decorating/organizing obsessed girl like me.

While I was there last week with my momma, I felt like I'd gone to one of "my happy places". It's always fun to imagine myself a fabulous, blond Swede named Kjersten, just stopping by to pick up a bag of meatballs and a piece of furniture that has a name that completely makes sense to me (because it's in my language). If you don't have an IKEA near you, I'm sorry. For my Utah readers - congratulations on finally getting an IKEA. Now go and enjoy it.

8 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

We love that happy place. My kids love the play place and food contained therein - which is funny because I remember loving the same thing when I was a kid being drug around Ikea back in Germany (not the play place - but the food).

We are currently Markor fans owning every variation of the bookcases to hold our exploding library. We love it because it doesn't "look" Ikea. But it has the same price point and practicality plus it is made of soft pine and so it can be touched up with dark furniture polish if scratched. Very nice for frequent movers.

I love the couch. Someday. For now I'm saddled with my husband's dream couch - the sectional from hell.

Quintuplet Dad said...

We got an IKEA in Austin a few years ago and it has made a huge difference (thanks to your Mom and her sister Linda). I think a washable couch sounds like a good idea for us at some point too.

The Dragonfly said...

Jayson, a washable couch will be great for your family . . . with several back up slipcovers! ;)

Shar, the last line of your comment made me guffaw out loud! We also have the Markor bookshelves in our office and I'm contemplating painting them and putting bead board on back. What do you think?

chelsea said...

i ♥ ♥ ♥ IKEA!! Not only is it a fabulous happy place, you can get an ice cream on the way out! hello!!

Tobi said...

I recently introduced my Mom to IKEA. She lives in Colorado and they don't have any happy places there. Poor sad Coloradians.

My Mom told me just yesterday that if she ever got a chance she would build a house right next to the IKEA in Austin. Oh yes... Addiction, aisle 5, bin 27 please!

Matt said...

I own the Ektorp. I love the Ektorp. I have to often replace the covers of the Ektorp because unlike your children, mine roll in the mud on a daily basis. Thank you IKEA.

Hil said...

We have an Ikea in north Texas too! It's about an hour away and so completely worth the drive. :)
I'll scout out the Ektorp on our next visit...

Anonymous said...

Just read your post and it made me laugh. I think you have really struck the right chord for many, myself included.
I thought you and your readers might like to know about Bemz, the company that makes custom-made covers for Ikea furniture. Visit us at www.bemz.com to test drive your Ektorp sofa (or any other out there you may have, including discontinued models!) with any of our 94 fabrics.
We pride ourselves on the fact that all our fabrics are built for family life – they are all machine washable and custom-made for a beautiful fit. Although there are no meatballs or ice cream to pick up on your way out, nor a ballroom (your children’s own happy place), you'll hopefully find Bemz a happy place you can visit from the comfort of your own home.